iL Boccone is a cosy Italian restaurant opposite The Rubens House, in the heart of Antwerp. We serve many delicious house specialities composed by our chef, typical Italian dishes, kinds of pasta and pizzas.
You can enjoy our dishes on the covered, atmospheric patio or outside on our terrace.
The Wapper the most beautiful square in Antwerp
De Wapper is a square in the Belgian city of Antwerp, located between the Meir and the Stadsschouwburg, which is named after the large water tap that stood next to the Herentalse Vaart at the time and which served to wap drinking water from the canal. It owes its fame to the presence of Het Rubenshuis, the home of Peter Paul Rubens. The painter Alexander Adriaenssen also lived on the Wapper. The square was built in 1972.
The History of the Wapper
In 1490 a moult was dug in the middle of the place where the Wapper is now. This moult, also known as freshwater shipping, Herentalse Vaart or Nieuw Schijn, provided drinking water in Antwerp. The Scheldt was not usable for this because that water was salty due to the tidal action. The moult connects to the Meir, originally a lake or swamp, and since the 14th century, it has been drained and paved or replaced by canals.
During the first half of the 16th century, the covering of this moult was started. In 1819 the moult was completely covered. Meanwhile, a row of houses was built on this roof, the most famous of which was the Geley House from 1545, against the Meir. New streets were created on either side of the row of houses, Wapperstraat on the west side and Rubensstraat on the east side. Between 1966 and 1969, the entire row of houses was demolished so that the Wapper became an open space again. The demolition was the planned construction of a broad approach route between the Antwerp Ring and the Meir. The track would thus become an extension of the motorway from Turnhout to Antwerp. In 1915 the idea had already been put forward to exchange the Rubens and Wapperstraat for an avenue. Those plans eventually fell through, and in 1972, the square was built as we know it today.